Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sticks & Spit

When I was at the end of my pregnancy with Lily, we were hit with the news that we would have to move. Immediately. As in, on her due date. It was very traumatic for me, and while other people may have seen it, only one man spoke into that. He walked past me one day as I was worrying and came back around to talk to me about the move. Bob was/is a great, kind man who is married to one of my midwives and knows so much about a woman's heart.
He said "I understand, you already built your nest. You don't have time to put together more sticks and spit to get ready for your baby."

That's the first time that I really understood what "nesting" meant.

This being my third time around, I've refined my nesting ways just a tad-it's more streamlined, if you will.
But, as of yesterday, my nest is built.

I woke up to...ahem...progress... yesterday morning and had contractions through lunch time, but after a nap, everything went back to normal. BUT, it got my booty in gear. Sweet Katie came over and helped me clean my house, I aired up the birth pool (which should have been done anyway...oops) got out all of the clean towels and started preparing my heart.

After an uneventful night and morning, I think it's safe to say that yesterday was just the start of the long, ridiculous process that is "Mae having a baby" but I was thrilled that...it's coming. SOON. Soon I will lift a tiny, warm, squishy baby up out of the water and on to my chest and our little family will expand and be complete-again.

The anticipation of whether or not I'll continue on as a "girl mom" or if I "get" my boy (I have mixed feelings on that sort of attitude) is kind of killing me.
Reminding myself that "THIS IS GOING TO HURT" has to happen. Last time I expected smooth sailing and was hit with reality, but the first time I expected the worst pain of my life.... and it wasn't so bad, haha ;] We'll see what this little babe has in store for me. What I do know for sure is that God will be there.

Norah hasn't slept more than 2 hours at a time for over a week now, and it's wearing us out, but we'll survive.

I'm ready for my new babe to be here. To introduce Norah to big-sisterhood. To walk through the miracle of childbirth with my favorite people. To see Lily light up at the addition of new life.

Any day now... Or week ;]

No comments: