Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Recipe Share

And the winner for this week's recipe vote is:

Sweet Rice with Almonds, Pine Nuts and Honey!
This dish is GREAT with a super spicy stir fry. The combination of flavors is outta this world! I'm sure you could even pair it with your favorite curry.
Wanna kick up your current stir fry? Just add red chili flakes or a cayenne pepper, but remember to do so SLOWLY. Too much, too fast is a lot of work to repair, trust me ;]

Ingredients [serves 6]
  • 2 cups of water*
  • 1 cup long grain white rice*
  • .25 cup chopped almonds
  • 3 TBS of pine nuts
  • 3 TBS honey
  • 1.5 TBS soy or tamari sauce
* The original recipe calls for brown rice, and while there are more benefits to brown, I prefer white with my Asian dishes.
And just to put it out there, the argument that "brown rice is what we used to eat" is false. We had NO way of keeping the endosperm on the grain until recently. Think of the grain of rice like a peanut. You have the shell, the endosperm, then the nut. Brown rice is like a peanut with it's "skin" still on.

Preperation

  1. Heat rice in pan with about half a tablespoon of coconut oil [olive oil or butter will do just fine but coconut goes better flavor wise] Heat on high until all grains are covered with oil and are very hot. Add water and bring to a boil. Once rice has boiled for about a minute, reduce the heat to low, cover, and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
  2. While the rice is cooking, heat a saute pan with a tsp of coconut oil over medium high heat. Toast almonds and pine nuts liightly. WATCH THEM, they go from toasty to burned very quickly.
  3. Spoon rice into a serving bowl with nuts, honey and soy sauce. Mix well and serve hot!


Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Today was perfect. Eamon took Rusty on a long walk and as I was nursing Lily I got a text saying "You've gotta come see Rusty at the park." ? What was the big deal? I take him to the park all the time? So I put Lily in the stroller and went to the park to find Eamon and Rusty running around playing fetch. It was adorable! Then we played with Lily on the swings and slide and all walked home.
Then we went to Lowe's and got everything we need for our gardens! We are very excited. We bought some seeds for beautiful flowers to go under the window sill in front of our dining room window [CUTE!]. For the salad garen in the back we got a variety of lettuce, two tomato plants, and a variety of sweet and hot peppers. We also have some sunflowers that I am very excited about. But not AS excited as I am about our Meyer Lemon tree!!! EEEEEK! I go through so many lemons, and they are my FAVORITE fruit. When Lily was born, we saved her placenta to plant under the tree of our first home. We thought it would be perfect to plant in one of the huge empty pots we have from last year and transplant it to our home in Austin next summer. I am SO excited to do this. Call me weird, but I just can't think of a better fertilizer! The life that sustained my baby will fertilize a tree that we hope to have forever! Haha, I guess you can tell I'm excited huh?

Well, enjoy the rest of your Sabbath if that happens to be today. I have got to get the bedtime routine started [daylight savings time couldn't have come at a better time, I've been trying to push Lily's bedtime an hour back anyway!] Then to walk the dog and work out.

ox, Mae

No comments: